Tatami Karuta Do is a light-weight, folding armor cuirass (chest armor) worn by Ashigaru, Shinobi and mid-level / officer Samurai during the late Sengoku Era (Waring State) well into the late Edo Era (Peaceful Era). The term “tatami” refers to the folding ability, and “karuta” to small square or rectangle plates of steel sewn onto a cloth backing. The Do (chest armor), as well as the kusazuri (thigh guards), have small spaces between the karuta, to allow for maximum flexibility while adding extra protection. This Gashira class model tatami karuta do features a Tate-Eri (padded shoulder / neck protection with kikko plating) and kohaze (toggles) on the watagami (shoulder straps) so sode (shoulder guards) can be attached (sold separately). Kote and suneate make a great addition to this tatami do.
The Tatami Karuta Do is an economical cuirass which offers good protection without sacrificing mobility, or space in your duffel bag. Making it the ideal armor for collectors, martial artists, re-enactors, LARP or even cosplay. Padding can be added for extra protection. Although we offer full customization for color and sizing, tatami armor is easily adjusted to fit people of all sizes, and to be worn over or under clothing. Tatami armor may have also been popular amongst shinobi (ninja) because it could be worn discreetly under their clothing, allowing them an excellent level of discreet protection when engaging in their stealthy endeavors.
Features: Gashira Quality
- Traditional design
- Custom order options available
- Optional under padding and material upgrades, can be requested for an extra fee.
This Tatami Karuta Do will be handcrafted by Iron Mountain Armory at the time of your order. Please allow at least 2 to 3 weeks for crafting and shipping.
- Hikitate Eboshi – Add a traditional cloth hat to your order, traditionally worn by Samurai
- Sarashi Belt – A traditional long cotton belt, used by Samurai to to secure their katana
- Waraji Sandals – Bamboo straw sandals commonly used by samurai
- Waraji-Gake – Traditional type of Japanese sock that can be worn together with the Waraji sandals
- Tabi Socks – Two toe section sock for use with sandals
- Yugake – Traditional samurai gloves
|For more information, please review our Order Options Explained, Glossary Terms or FAQ Pages. You can also Contact Us directly. We are always happy to be of service.|
References: Arms and Armor of the Samurai: The History of Weaponry in Ancient Japan / The Samurai: Warriors of Medieval Japan, 940-1600 / Samurai: The Code of the Warrior /