Taisho Tatami Karuta Yoroi is a form of lightweight, folding armor worn by mid to high ranking Samurai and generals during the Sengoku Era of feudal Japan. The terms “tatami” refers to the folding ability, and “karuta,” a small square or rectangle plate of steel sewn to a cloth backing. The chest armor (Do or Dou) as well as the thigh guards (kusazuri), have small spaces between the karuta linked with kusari (iron mail), to allow for maximum protection, flexibility and range of movement. With our Taisho Tatami Karuta Yoroi, these plates are connected heavily with chainmail for added protection. All parts feature connecting chainmail between the karuta plates giving both flexibility and a superior level of protection over other tatami yoroi. More than 90 hours of hand crafting will go into one Taisho Tatami Karuta Yoroi creating a beautiful and functional lightweight armor set. Padding can be added for extra protection for a small fee.
High quality Taisho Karuta Armor was much more elaborate, ornate and offered better protection. The lower quality Kachi sets are plainer and offer only basic protection. Tatami armor is easily adjusted to fit people of all sizes, and to be worn over or under clothing. This armor type may also have been popular amongst shinobi (ninja). It could be worn discreetly under their clothing, allowing them excellent, yet discreet, protection for their stealthy endeavors.
Features: Gashira Quality
- Karuta sewn onto linen with chain-mail between the plates.
- Includes matching Karuta Hachigane, Karuta Do with Tate-eri (shoulder padding), Ito-mono Sode, Splint Kote, Karuta no-kusari Haidate and Light Suneate.
- Sode are ito-mono plated for full protection but can be replaced with matching karuta sode upon request (in order notes).
- Optional under padding and material upgrades, can be requested for an extra fee.
Taisho Tatami Karuta Yoroi –
|Our skilled katchû-shi (armorers) at the Iron Mountain Armory will need at least 3 to 5 weeks, depending on options selected, and other scheduled orders, for the custom handcrafting of your yoroi.|
- Hikitate Eboshi – Add a traditional cloth hat to your order, traditionally worn by Samurai
- Sarashi Belt – A traditional long cotton belt, used by Samurai to to secure their katana
- Waraji Sandals – Bamboo straw sandals commonly used by samurai
- Waraji-Gake – Traditional type of Japanese sock that is to be worn together with the Waraji sandals
- Tabi Socks – Two toe section sock for use with sandals
- Yugake – Traditional samurai gloves
|For more information, please review our Order Options Explained, Glossary Terms or FAQ Pages. You can also Contact Us directly. We are always happy to be of service.|
References: Arms and Armor of the Samurai: The History of Weaponry in Ancient Japan / The Samurai: Warriors of Medieval Japan, 940-1600 / Samurai: The Code of the Warrior /