LIKE NEW – 84 – 90 CM Chest – Black Dragon Brocade with White Trim
The Manchira is an auxiliary chest armor typically worn under the samurai armor do. It is as a soft and flexible armor that can be worn over or under the kimono for protection, while in the street or traveling. Your custom-made Manchira can act as its own do. It is is made up of a layered linen blend or brocade with kikko (steel hexagon plates), sewn between the cloth backings. This makes for a soft, flexible form of light armor that helps to protect the entire torso from slashes and stabs. It was kept separate from the do so it could easily be cleaned, repaired or replaced as needed. This prevents the user from having to send the entire do in for servicing and maintenance.
Manchira were also worn by the wealthy merchant class and possibly used as a style of Shinobi (ninja) armor. It could be worn comfortably and discreetly under normal period clothing. This is an ideal training armor for modern martial artists or anyone wanting extra protection in the traditional form, or for anyone wanting a little extra protection in their day to day life from knife attacks.
- Additional padding for protection from blunt weapons available.
- Please note that this price is only for the Manchira Do (chest armor) only.
- The Kote (armored sleeves) and Suneate (shin guards), are sold separately.
This Manchira is handmade by Iron Mountain Armory. This particular set is in stock, ready to ship.
- Hikitate Eboshi – Add a traditional cloth hat to your order, traditionally worn by Samurai
- Sarashi Belt – A traditional long cotton belt, used by Samurai to to secure their katana
- Waraji Sandals – Bamboo straw sandals commonly used by samurai
- Waraji-Gake – Traditional type of Japanese sock that is to be worn together with the Waraji sandals
- Tabi Socks – Two toe section sock for use with sandals
- Yugake – Traditional samurai gloves
References: Arms and Armor of the Samurai: The History of Weaponry in Ancient Japan / The Samurai: Warriors of Medieval Japan, 940-1600 / Samurai: The Code of the Warrior /