Kikko Gane Do are light weight and flexible Do (cuirass) that are worn as lightweight tatami style armor or as auxiliary armor, under the samurai warrior’s Do. This style of kikko gane armor was worn by Daimyo, all levels of samurai, as well as some wealthy merchants and possibly shinobi (ninja). Kikko gane armor is crafted with small hexagonal pieces of iron, sewn between layers of cloth to create tightly woven form of brigandine, light and flexible armor. The Kikko gane are is gives great protection from slashes and stabs while offering protection from blunt force trauma. This auxiliary samurai armor was typically worn as an extra layer of protection under the Samurai’s Do (cuirass). It could also be worn over the Samurai’s Do to help reduce sound while on night raids and protect the armor from scrapes while scaling walls. Or as a light weight armor over a Yoroi Hitatari, with added kabuto, kote and suneate.
Iron Mountain Armory crafts this style of kikko gane do from historical references of late Sengoku / early Edo era sets. Using natural materials of the era, our auxiliary armor sets are historically accurate making them perfect for martial artists and historical re-enactors that want traditional kikko armor on the market. Perfect for added under armor protection for LARP and SCA members or anyone wanting extra protection during weapons training. We also offer the option to make the kusazuri / gessan (armored skirt) to be detachable, so it can be worn like a manchira armor.
- Custom chest/waist size (fits snugly so order one size larger), custom height, color, pattern, material, and padding options.
- Additional padding for protection from blunt weapons available.
- Please note that this price is only for the Kikko Gane Do.
- Other items are sold separately.
Kikko Gane Do –
Our skilled katchû-shi (armorers) at the Iron Mountain Armory will need at least 2 to 4 weeks, depending on options selected, and other scheduled orders, for the custom handcrafting of your reproduction samurai item.
4 / 5 – Chest / Waist Size – Best to order 2 cm larger on each dimension for a more comfortable fit.
C: Measure from where the chest meats the shoulder.
D: Neck to front Bend – Lowest part of your neck to your navel.
E: We suggest you start your measurement 5 cm below the armpit for a more comfortable fit.
Please Note: Click the ? next to each option to review detailed instructions. You may not be able to wear sode with item if wearing with armor.
- Hikitate Eboshi – Add a traditional cloth hat to your order, traditionally worn by Samurai
- Sarashi Belt – A traditional long cotton belt, used by Samurai to to secure their katana
- Waraji Sandals – Bamboo straw sandals commonly used by samurai
- Waraji-Gake – Traditional type of Japanese sock that is to be worn together with the Waraji sandals
- Tabi Socks – Two toe section sock for use with sandals
- Yugake – Traditional samurai gloves
|For more information, please review our Order Options Explained, Glossary Terms or FAQ Pages. You can also Contact Us directly. We are always happy to be of service.|
References: Arms and Armor of the Samurai: The History of Weaponry in Ancient Japan / The Samurai: Warriors of Medieval Japan, 940-1600 / Samurai: The Code of the Warrior /
There are no reviews yet.