Kikko Gane “Armored” Kimono by Iron Mountain Armory is a reproduction of an actual kikko gane kimono from the early Edo Era. Used as under armor by Daimyo, high ranking samurai, as well as some wealthy merchants and possibly shinobi (ninja). Crafted with small kikko (hexagonal armor plates), sewn between layers of cloth to create tightly woven form of brigandine, light and flexible armor. Capable of protecting the samurai warrior from slashes, stabs and blunt force trauma. This kikko gane kimono would have likely been worn as a light armor over a Hitatari, under a haori or as an extra layer of protection over the existing Samurai’s do (cuirass).
- Custom chest/waist size (fits snugly so order one size larger), custom height, color, pattern, material, and padding options.
- Additional padding for protection from blunt weapons available.
- Please note that this price is only for the Kikko Gane Kimono.
- Other items are sold separately.
Kikko Gane Kimono Crafting –
Our skilled katchû-shi (armorers) at the Iron Mountain Armory will need at least 2 to 4 weeks, depending on options selected, and other scheduled orders, for the custom handcrafting of your reproduction samurai item.
4 / 5 – Chest / Waist Size – Best to order 2 cm larger on each dimension for a more comfortable fit.
B: Measure from outer shoulder to outer shoulder + any extra extra length you would like (we recommend an extra 20 cm to overall length for overhang as shown)
C: Measure from where the chest meets the shoulder.
D: Neck to front Bend – Lowest part of your neck to your navel.
E: We suggest you start your measurement 5 cm below the armpit for a more comfortable fit.
Please Note: Click the ? next to each option to review detailed instructions. You may not be able to wear Sode with item if wearing with armor.
- Hikitate Eboshi – Add a traditional cloth hat to your order, traditionally worn by Samurai
- Sarashi Belt – A traditional long cotton belt, used by Samurai to to secure their katana
- Waraji Sandals – Bamboo straw sandals commonly used by samurai
- Waraji-Gake – Traditional type of Japanese sock that is to be worn together with the Waraji sandals
- Tabi Socks – Two toe section sock for use with sandals
- Yugake – Traditional samurai gloves
|For more information, please review our Order Options Explained, Glossary Terms or FAQ Pages. You can also Contact Us directly. We are always happy to be of service.|
References: Arms and Armor of the Samurai: The History of Weaponry in Ancient Japan / The Samurai: Warriors of Medieval Japan, 940-1600 / Samurai: The Code of the Warrior /