Gashira Tatami Karuta Yoroi is a form of light-weight, folding armor worn by Ashigaru, Shinobi and mid-level / officer Samurai during the Sengoku Era of feudal Japan. The term “tatami” refers to the folding ability, and “karuta” to small square or rectangle plates of steel sewn onto a cloth backing. The Do (chest armor), as well as the kusazuri (thigh guards), have small spaces between, to allow for maximum flexibility while adding extra protection. Our Gashira model features kote (sleeves) and suneate (shin guards) with steel shino (splint) plates and kusari (iron chain mail) between the plating, sewn to a linen backing. This Gashira class Tatami Karuta Yoroi features a karuta do (folding cuirass), with Tate-Eri (padded shoulder / neck protection with kikko plating), karuta sode (shoulder guards), a hachigane (armored headband). These features give this armor set a step up of protection compared to the Kachi Tatami Karuta Yoroi.
All of these features work together to give great protection and flexibility, at a relatively economical price. Padding can be added for extra protection, for an additional fee. This Gashira Tatami Karuta Yoroi model, offers the most flexible Samurai style body armor within a more affordable price range, from the armor smiths at Iron Mountain Armory. For another, more economical, lightweight folding armor, please see our Kachi Tatami Karuta Yoroi. For the ultimate lightweight samurai armor with the best level of overall protection, please see our Taisho Tatami Karuta Yoroi.
Tatami armor is easily adjusted to fit people of all sizes, and to be worn over or under clothing. Tatami armor may have also been popular amongst shinobi (ninja) because it could be worn discreetly under their clothing, allowing them an excellent level of discreet protection when engaging in their stealthy endeavors.
Features: Gashira Quality
- Traditional design
- Includes matching Karuta Hachigane, Karuta Do with Tate-eri (Shoulder padding), Karuta Sode, Kote, Karuta Haidate and Light Suneate.
- Custom order options available
- Optional under padding and material upgrades, can be requested for an extra fee.
Folding Gashira Samurai Tatami Armor –
Our skilled katchû-shi (armorers) at the Iron Mountain Armory will need at least 2 to 4 weeks, depending on options selected, and other scheduled orders, for the custom handcrafting of your reproduction samurai item.
- Hikitate Eboshi – Add a traditional cloth hat to your order, traditionally worn by Samurai
- Sarashi Belt – A traditional long cotton belt, used by Samurai to to secure their katana
- Waraji Sandals – Bamboo straw sandals commonly used by samurai
- Waraji-Gake – Traditional type of Japanese sock that can be worn together with the Waraji sandals
- Tabi Socks – Two toe section sock for use with sandals
- Yugake – Traditional samurai gloves
|For more information, please review our Order Options Explained, Glossary Terms or FAQ Pages. You can also Contact Us directly. We are always happy to be of service.|
References: Arms and Armor of the Samurai: The History of Weaponry in Ancient Japan / The Samurai: Warriors of Medieval Japan, 940-1600 / Samurai: The Code of the Warrior /