The Yoroi Hitatare was the traditional shirt and pant set that was the most common clothing style worn by Samurai under their armor from the late Heian Period through Sengoku Era of Japan (1050 – 1573 A.D.). The Yoroi Hitatare is basically another version of the hakama and kimono which are ideal for wearing under armor. Similar to the Traditional Hitatare, which was more commonly worn without armor, the Yoroi Hitatare features narrower sleeves and legs that taper in at the knee with joined kyahan (leggings) making them Tattsuke-Hakama. These small changes made the Yoroi Hitatare more comfortable to wear with armor. Some samurai would tuck the right sleeve into their pants, so as not to hinder their arm movement when drawing the yumi (samurai long bow). Although less formal, the yoroi hitatare was sometimes worn in an official capacity and in the Edo Era may have been adorned with a kataginu (sleeveless jacket with exaggerated shoulders). The color of the linen would often denote the rank of the samurai and a brocade was customarily worn only by Daimyo, taisho (generals) or higher ranking retainers. When not wearing armor, samurai would often wear Traditional Hitatare which differ slightly from the Yoroi Hitatare.
Features: Traditional design.
- Our Yoroi Hitatare is a 3 part set, which includes a narrow sleeved yukata kimono, tattsuke-bakama and cotton shitagi (undershirt).
- Optional materials and sizing is available.
- Optional materials are Japanese linen or brocade.
- 100% silk is available upon request for additional cost.
This yoroi hitatare set is handmade by Iron Mountain Armory at the time of your order. Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for crafting of this item.
- Hikitate Eboshi – Add a traditional cloth hat to your order, traditionally worn by Samurai
- Sarashi Belt – A traditional long cotton belt, used by Samurai to to secure their katana
- Waraji Sandals – Bamboo straw sandals commonly used by samurai
- Waraji-Gake – Traditional type of Japanese sock that is to be worn together with the Waraji sandals
- Tabi Socks – Two toe section sock for use with sandals
- Yugake – Traditional samurai gloves
|For more information, please review our Order Options Explained, Glossary Terms or FAQ Pages. You can also Contact Us directly. We are always happy to be of service.|