Kachi Tatami Karuta Yoroi is a form of light-weight, folding armor worn by Ashigaru, Shinobi and low ranking Samurai during the Sengoku Era of feudal Japan. The term “tatami” refers to the folding ability and “karuta” a small square or rectangle plates of steel sewn to a cloth backing. The Do (chest armor), as well as the kusazuri (thigh guards), have small spaces between the karuta, to allow for maximum flexibility. A simple kote (sleeves) and suneate (shin guards) featuring steel shino (splint) plates sewn to matching linen backing, giving adequate protection and economics, are also included in this set. Padding can be added for extra protection for an additional fee. This Katchi Tatami Karuta Yoroi model offers the most economical Samurai style body armor from Iron Mountain Armory. For the next level of light-weight, folding armor with more protection, please see our Gashira Tatami Karuta Yoroi. For the ultimate lightweight, folding samurai armor, please see our Taisho Tatami Karuta Yoroi.
Karuta Armor was worn by all classes of samurai and foot soldiers (ashigaru) alike. High quality Taisho Karuta Armor was more elaborate, ornate and offered better protection, while the lower quality Kachi sets are plainer and offer only a basic level of protection. Tatami armor is easily adjusted to fit people of all sizes, and to be worn over or under clothing. Tatami armor may have also been popular amongst the shinobi (ninja), it could be worn discreetly under their clothing, allowing them an excellent, yet discreet protection, for their stealthy endeavors.
Features: Kachi Quality
- Linen with armor plates sewn on (no chainmail)
- Includes basic do, kote & suneate.
- An optional matching Hachigane(headband) or under padding, can be requested for an extra fee
|Our skilled katchû-shi (armorers) at the Iron Mountain Armory will need at least 2 to 4 weeks, depending on options selected, and other scheduled orders, for the custom handcrafting of your reproduction samurai item.|
- Hikitate Eboshi – Add a traditional cloth hat to your order, traditionally worn by Samurai
- Sarashi Belt – A traditional long cotton belt, used by Samurai to to secure their katana
- Waraji Sandals – Bamboo straw sandals commonly used by samurai
- Waraji-Gake – Traditional type of Japanese sock that is to be worn together with the Waraji sandals
- Tabi Socks – Two toe section sock for use with sandals
- Yugake – Traditional samurai gloves
|For more information, please review our Order Options Explained, Glossary Terms or FAQ Pages. You can also Contact Us directly. We are always happy to be of service.|
References: Arms and Armor of the Samurai: The History of Weaponry in Ancient Japan / The Samurai: Warriors of Medieval, 940-1600 / Samurai: The Code of the Warrior /