Kogake, (also known as Sabaton kogate, Goku and Koka), are the armored footwear donned by samurai to protect their feet in battle. Traditionally, a samurai tended to wear waraji-gake-tabi (special tabi socks) and waraji (straw sandals), into battle. Over time, various armor types to adorn and/or protect the feet, were developed. Fashioned in the distinctive Japanese “split-toe” tabi style, the samurai warrior would typically lace his Kogake into the waraji, making it an armored shoe. Over time odoshi (lacing), kusari (iron mail) and hinges were implemented into the armor plating to make it more comfortable. A waraji-gake-tabi would be worn with it to add more comfort.
- Traditional design.
- Custom sizing and paint color available.
- Custom mon (clan crest) options available upon request.
table id=235 /]
- Waraji Sandals – Bamboo straw sandals commonly used by samurai
- Waraji-Gake – Traditional type of Japanese sock that is to be worn together with the Waraji sandals
- Tabi Socks – Two toe section sock for use with sandals
|For more information, please review our Order Options Explained, Glossary Terms or FAQ Pages. You can also Contact Us directly. We are always happy to be of service.|